The Project Manager will have overall responsibility for planning and executing the construction of a project or multiple projects assigned to them. This person will provide leadership and direction to the Project Superintendent, Assistant Project Managers, Project Engineers, and Administrative staff to deliver a quality project within the agreed schedule, maximizing the return to the company while earning repeat business from the client. The Project Manager reports to the Project Executive.
- Turnover meeting with the Project Estimator to review and fully understand material, labor, equipment, subcontracts, and general conditions estimates.
- Scopes of work for award of Subcontracts specific to the particular project, with a level of detail to solidify the full scope while being general enough to cover all aspects of the work.
- Make sure executed Subcontracts are received back promptly, as well as insurance certificates and bonds (if required).
- Prepare a baseline schedule with the Project Superintendent, and with input from key subcontractors, and provide accurate monthly updates. Always look for ways to pick up time on the schedule and to overcome delays by working with the Superintendent and Subcontractors. Strive for work efficiency for the trades. Document any logic revisions and provide monthly updates to Owner, Architect, and Subcontractors.
- Foster relationships with Subcontractors and Suppliers.
- Prepare and facilitate a preconstruction meeting with all Subcontractors and Suppliers. Topics to include job-specific items (work hours, logistics, crane usage, etc.), safety, submittals and shop drawings, project schedule, and introductions of team members and companies.
- Hold weekly job meetings to update job progress, safety, status of submittals, answers to RFIs, and any other project issues that need to be addressed.
- Timely prepare monthly billings based on billings from Subcontractors and walk a draft copy with Architect or Owner to get approval prior to formally submitting. Reasonably project to month’s end. Follow-through on progress of payment in a timely manner.
- Prepare monthly status reports to Owner that include a project narrative, updated schedule, updated submittal list, RFI log, and change order log.
- Meet with Owner weekly to discuss project status.
- Timely submit change order requests for changes to project. Thoroughly review change and responses from Subcontractors for accuracy prior to submitting to Owner. Include source of change with submittal of change order.
- Prepare a monthly cost forecast for review with the Project Executive. Forecast general conditions and open scope items in trades. All buy out to be moved to buy contingency on a monthly basis, and will be pulled out with explanation as needed.
- Support Superintendent as needed to get material to job as needed and to get manpower required.
- Manage issues with Subcontractors to closure. Our approach is to be firm but fair.
- Work with Superintendent to prepare detailed work list at end of project and to expedite turnover of a quality product.
- Evaluate staff and mentor Assistant Project Managers and Project Engineers so they are progressing in their careers.
- Prior experience in successfully managing projects similar in size and complexity.
- Strong communication skills, both internally and externally.
- Professional appearance.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal structure while exercising great judgment.
- Strong ability to multitask, prioritize, and work well under pressure to meet established deadlines.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Advanced knowledge in Microsoft Office (Excel, Project, Power Point, Word, and Outlook) and database software (Sage Project Management, Microsoft project)
- 4-year degree in Building Construction, Engineering, or related field.
- Minimum 4 years related project management experience.