The Chief Estimator will oversee all the estimating functions of the preconstruction/estimating team. The Senior Estimator is also responsible for preparing budgets, estimates, and pre-bid packages for construction projects to be built for clients. Responsibilities also included working with General Trades estimators and project management teams developing sections of schematic, design development and construction document estimates including soliciting and evaluating subcontractor bids, and scopes of work, preparing quantity surveys, reviewing project plans and specifications for various categories of work projects.
- Lead the Estimating Team with timely roll-out and execution of the estimate deliverable process.
- Conduct initial analysis of drawings and specifications to ensure the required documentation is present to determine the scope of work.
- Develop full-scope estimates based on Bid-Build, Design-Build, and or construction documents.
- Analyze bids, understand risk, opportunities and articulate them to management.
- Provide leadership and direction with regards to means and methods, schedule, and strategy.
- Participate in technical proposals for Alternative Delivery projects.
- Provide detailed quantity take off specific trades when required.
- Create detailed crew and production cost estimates and review prices with estimating team.
- Solicits and analyze subcontractor and vendor pricing input when required.
- Attends project site pre-bid meetings, site tours, and post-bid interviews as required.
- Performs technical/plan review when required.
- Accurately assesses and plans takeoff workload.
- Gather and monitor actual cost vs. estimated cost, maintaining project cost history.
- Manage and maintain subcontractor database and subcontractor prequalification.
- Builds effective relationships with design team, subcontractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company core values and meets or exceeds the customer’s expectations.
- Duties include identifying projects to bid, estimating staff scheduling, and performance evaluations.
- Provide technical assistance in negotiating contracts, change orders, etc. as required.
- Conduct and review all final estimate packages to ensure accuracy and completeness, prior to formal quotation.
- Knowledgeable of the following: civil/site construction, foundation, and structural systems, miscellaneous metals, casework, doors, specialties, interior finishes, exterior building wall systems, mechanical and electrical systems, and the costs of these systems.
- Able to manage multiple projects concurrently with ability to multitask.
- Maintain effectiveness and adjust to changes by exploring the rationale, trying new approaches, collaborating with others to ensure changes are successful.
- Identify opportunities for new and improved ways of doing things that result in value added, unique and differentiated solutions.
- Proven ability to generate and deliver reports that provide useful insights into project details.
- Strong computer skills including the ability to use estimating software such as Onscreen Takeoff, spread.
- Working Knowledge of Procore and Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint Word, and Outlook).
- Preferred four (4) year degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture, Marketing, or equivalent field experience. Experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- 10+ years of work in preconstruction/estimating and/or operations experience on commercial construction projects.
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience.